Do you know these 10 facts about road safety from the World Health Organization?
- More than 1.2 million people die in road traffic crashes every year.
- As many as 50 million people are injured or disabled by road traffic crashes every year.
- Half of all crash victims are vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists.
- Road traffic crashes cost countries up to 4% of their Gross National Product.
- Correctly used seat-belts reduce the risk of death in a crash by 61%.
- Mandatory use of child restraints can reduce child deaths by 35%.
- Helmets reduce fatal and serious head injuries by up to 45%.
- Enforcing a drinking and driving law around the world could reduce alcohol-related crashes by 20%.
- For every 1 kmph (less than 1 mph) reduction in average speed, there is a 2% reduction in the number of crashes.
- Simple low-cost engineering measures are saving thousands of lives.
These 10 facts about road safety are shocking to read, but not exactly surprising. Think about your commute to and from work or anytime you have to run to the store, you probably see an accident once a day, or at the least several a week.
Many of the accidents you stumble across during your daily drives are caused by simple distraction. People on cell phones, people unsure of where they are going, people being distracted by the radio, kids, pets, or anything else can run stop signs or lights, rear end you, or run off the road.
Accidents are mostly preventable, with the exception of weather related incidents. We hope everyone can take driving seriously and help reduce these numbers. However, if you find yourself in need of vehicle repair in the Huntington, West Virginia area, we hope you’ll think of East End Body Shop. Our technicians are experts and will treat you with the same kindness and respect as they would their own family.
Remember to buckle up and keep your full attention on the road.
When it comes to driving in general, car accidents are sadly not uncommon. However, in the winter months, the cold weather conditions may create varying roadway hazards while driving. Statistically, snow/ice related car accidents cause over 1,300 deaths and more...
Most drivers will have to take their car to an auto body shop at some point or another. But what are the most common repairs that auto body shops do? Typically, an auto collision is completely impossible to avoid, and finding yourself in a situation where you have to...
Rear end collisions make up for roughly one third of all car accidents in the United States, making them the most common form of collision. While the cosmetic aspects are easily fixed, can a minor rear end collision also cause hidden damage? It’s important to...
There are so many things to love about the fall. From the changing leaves, carving pumpkins, or the perfect weather for sweaters. When it comes to driving though, some tips to drive more safely in the fall may come in handy. From summer to fall, the changes in...
Damage to your car following a motor vehicle accident is entirely unforeseen and can be the cause of a lot of physical, mental, and financial stress. Finding a collision repair shop following damage to your vehicle, whether it be serious damage or just a broken...
As the COVID-19 pandemic has created less traffic and congestion on the roads because of the majority staying home, there will unfortunately still be incidents where drivers are involved in collisions. Learning how to maintain social distancing after an auto accident...