Do you know these 10 facts about road safety from the World Health Organization?
- More than 1.2 million people die in road traffic crashes every year.
- As many as 50 million people are injured or disabled by road traffic crashes every year.
- Half of all crash victims are vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists.
- Road traffic crashes cost countries up to 4% of their Gross National Product.
- Correctly used seat-belts reduce the risk of death in a crash by 61%.
- Mandatory use of child restraints can reduce child deaths by 35%.
- Helmets reduce fatal and serious head injuries by up to 45%.
- Enforcing a drinking and driving law around the world could reduce alcohol-related crashes by 20%.
- For every 1 kmph (less than 1 mph) reduction in average speed, there is a 2% reduction in the number of crashes.
- Simple low-cost engineering measures are saving thousands of lives.
These 10 facts about road safety are shocking to read, but not exactly surprising. Think about your commute to and from work or anytime you have to run to the store, you probably see an accident once a day, or at the least several a week.
Many of the accidents you stumble across during your daily drives are caused by simple distraction. People on cell phones, people unsure of where they are going, people being distracted by the radio, kids, pets, or anything else can run stop signs or lights, rear end you, or run off the road.
Accidents are mostly preventable, with the exception of weather related incidents. We hope everyone can take driving seriously and help reduce these numbers. However, if you find yourself in need of vehicle repair in the Huntington, West Virginia area, we hope you’ll think of East End Body Shop. Our technicians are experts and will treat you with the same kindness and respect as they would their own family.
Remember to buckle up and keep your full attention on the road.
It’s no surprise that vehicles are safer today than they ever have been. With all of the new technology coming out and within our reach, it’s easier for us to test and modify and test and modify until we are certain vehicles are as safe as we can make them. And...
Dents. The bane of our existences when it comes to cars. They’re almost inevitable. Even if you take every precaution in the book and park 20 car spots away from everyone at the store, your car will eventually get a dent. And there’s nothing worse than coming out of a...
No one enjoys doing work to their vehicle in the heat of the summer. The cooling temperatures of fall overtaking West Virginia is a welcome change from the heat and humidity. Now is the perfect time to give your car a once over in preparation for the chilly weather...
We all know how frustrating it can be to find a new scratch no your car. Where did this come from? When did this come from? There are a lot of quick, at home tricks to touching up your car's paint job, but which ones should you actually try? Does toothpaste actually...
Just because you have an older car doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of money at a vehicle repair shop to make it look like new. Here are a few tips and tricks to make your older car look new again. Clean Everything Obviously a dirty car, inside and out, can make...
Follow these simple rules to help become a safer driver and avoid auto repair. Practice parallel parking If you don't live in a busy city, you might not have to parallel park that often. But you might still find yourself needing to squeeze into a space some random...