Do you know these 10 facts about road safety from the World Health Organization?
- More than 1.2 million people die in road traffic crashes every year.
- As many as 50 million people are injured or disabled by road traffic crashes every year.
- Half of all crash victims are vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists.
- Road traffic crashes cost countries up to 4% of their Gross National Product.
- Correctly used seat-belts reduce the risk of death in a crash by 61%.
- Mandatory use of child restraints can reduce child deaths by 35%.
- Helmets reduce fatal and serious head injuries by up to 45%.
- Enforcing a drinking and driving law around the world could reduce alcohol-related crashes by 20%.
- For every 1 kmph (less than 1 mph) reduction in average speed, there is a 2% reduction in the number of crashes.
- Simple low-cost engineering measures are saving thousands of lives.
These 10 facts about road safety are shocking to read, but not exactly surprising. Think about your commute to and from work or anytime you have to run to the store, you probably see an accident once a day, or at the least several a week.
Many of the accidents you stumble across during your daily drives are caused by simple distraction. People on cell phones, people unsure of where they are going, people being distracted by the radio, kids, pets, or anything else can run stop signs or lights, rear end you, or run off the road.
Accidents are mostly preventable, with the exception of weather related incidents. We hope everyone can take driving seriously and help reduce these numbers. However, if you find yourself in need of vehicle repair in the Huntington, West Virginia area, we hope you’ll think of East End Body Shop. Our technicians are experts and will treat you with the same kindness and respect as they would their own family.
Remember to buckle up and keep your full attention on the road.
Here and East End Body Shop, we promise to provide unsurpassed professional collision repair service to the Huntington, West Virginia area. We focus on fulfilling our promise to each customer in three main areas: quality repairs, safety, and customer...
Our repair process ensures that your vehicle will be inspected and repaired by industry-certified technicians, whose priority is getting you back on the road safely. We work with all major insurance companies and each of our repairs have multiple...
You often hear about the things you SHOULD do after a car accident, but what about the things you SHOULDN’T do? Here are 5 things you should never do after an accident. Leave the Scene No one gets into a car accident at an optimal time. You’re in your...
Road Rage Road rage seems pretty common to us. We often joke about it don’t we? But getting upset and yelling, “Come on!” when someone cuts you off is very different to real road rage. Road rage, is an oftentimes deadly problem. Driver’s get reckless...
Last week we talked about our first five causes of car accidents. This week we’re going to cover the next five. Young Drivers Unfortunately when we’re young our brains aren’t fully developed. Not only that, but we think we’re invincible mixed with the...
Distracted Driving Unfortunately, the number one cause of car accidents is distracted driving. That’s more than drunk driving, road rage and many other reasons. We drive so often that it can feel like it’s second nature. Unfortunately our...